Wednesday, September 23, 2015

To Dance is to Live

     Happy Autumnal Equinox!  What better way to celebrate the changing of the seasons than to dance?
                                                         
"To dance is to live; to live is to dance."

     My mother, who taught me Greek and Argentine dancing, took great pleasure in celebrating each quarter, organizing events with neighbors and friends----kite-flying on the beach, margaritas on the patio, poetry readings in the barn...Her favorite was summer equinox, with its long light-filled days.  I like them all, each with its unique balance of light and its aroma of scents and scenic splendor.

     Since today was my Line Dance Class day, I was perfectly happy to celebrate the day by dancing.  When I arrived, though, I realized I'd forgotten my special dancing shoes.  Disappointed!!  Could I make it through two hours in my street clogs?  I'd try---it was either that or go home.

     To my great relief, a classmate, Betty, hearing me whining about the shoe issue, asked what size I wore and offered me her spare pair.  They fit perfectly.  I told her she had saved the day for me and given me another reason to celebrate----the thoughtfulness and generosity of an acquaintance.  Plus a special reminder that things always somehow work out for the best.  I'll always remember her kindness.

     What do you enjoy most about the changing of each season?

No comments:

Post a Comment